WORLD WAR 1 – Taunton Exhibition
August 2014 marked 100 years since the start of the World War 1.
To mark the Centenary of the First World War, Taunton’s Creative Innovation Centre (CICCIC) is delivering a project that will enable local people in the borough of Taunton Deane to come together to preserve the memories and heritage of the people who served and lived through the First World War.
Starting Saturday 7th Nov, with a special opening for the 8th Nov Remembrance Sunday, there will be a 4 week physical exhibition of World War 1 at the Creative Innovation Centre CIC based on the articles and artefacts received from people who live in Taunton and the surrounding areas.
Leading up to the exhibition there are events where members of the public can bring their articles and artefacts.
- Sat 2nd May – CICCIC, Paul St, Taunton 9.30am-3.00pm
- Tues 5th May – CICCIC, Paul St, Taunton 9.30am-3.00pm
- Weds 6th May – CICCIC, Paul St, Taunton 9.30am-3.00pm
- Thurs 7th May – CICCIC, Paul St, Taunton 9.30am-3.00pm
- Sat 9th May – Queen’s College, Queen’s Hall, 9.30am-3.30pm
- Sat 16th May – Wellington, TBA, 9.30am-3.30pm
- Sat 6th June – Bishops Lydeard, Church of England Primary School, 9.30am-3.30pm
- Sat 13th June – Galmington, Trident Youth & Community Centre, 9.30am-3.30pm
- Sat 20th June – Halcon, The Link Centre, Taunton, 9.30am-3.30pm
- Sat 27th June – Holway/Blackbrook, Taunton YMCA, Lisieux Way, 9.30am-3.30pm
- Sat 4th July – Priorswood, St Peters Church, Eastwick Road, 9.30am-3.30pm
- Sat 5th Sept – Norton Fitzwarren Village Hall, 9.30am-3.30pm
Supported By Many Organisations
The project is also one of the largest partnerships of its kind in the South West with partners that include:
- 40 Commando
- The Historical Association
- Taunton Deane Borough Council
- Somerset Armed Forces Community Covenant
- Creative Innovation Centre CIC
- Heritage Lottery Fund
- UK Hydrographic Office
- Somerset Archaeological & Natural History Society
The exhibits and events will be archived in the British Library for people to access. This website will be open for 2 years from September 2015.
It is not too late to have your family’s stories and photo’s uploaded to this archive.
We Need More – Can You Help
We need stories; poems, music, old photographs and items from families in the Taunton and the surrounding areas to show at the exhibition. This is an important part of our history and we would like to make it come alive for everyone in the Parish.
If you have any materials which could be used for the exhibition or would like to get involved please let us know by contacting:
Richard Holt or Andrew Knutt on 01823 337477
Alternatively, you can submit articles using our online form